This page is a one-stop-shop with important resources for our graduate students at the University of Kansas Department of Chemistry.
If you need any of the resources below, please send requests to the Graduate Program Coordinator, Avery Meadows, at email@example.com:
- Course Syllabi
- Chemistry Department Doctoral Program profile
Please also refer to the Current Graduate Student FAQ page.
Currently enrolled Department of Chemistry graduate students should consult the Chemistry Graduate Student Handbook (pdf) with respect to questions regarding:
- MS/PhD coursework requirements
- Oral comprehensive exam scheduling procedures
- Advisor change / transfer of group procedures
- And more!
The mission of ChemGSO is to:
- Facilitate communication between graduate students and the Chemistry Department
- Promote professional development for chemistry graduate students
- Build social ties within the department & within the students
They hold monthly meetings and events during which they discuss issues important to graduate students, brainstorm new programs and policies to suggest to the department, and plan upcoming events.
If you have an anonymous concern you'd like ChemGSO to be aware of, you can let them know using the following forms:
Graduate students can benefit from KU Writing Center support from their first year through completing their thesis or dissertation. The Writing Center is available for individual consultations in addition to hosting workshops throughout the year. Each year in January, the host the Thesis/Dissertation Accelerator workshop, a four-day intensive professionalization workshop for graduate students wishing to progress quickly on their theses and dissertations between semesters. There are a limited number of spots available, so apply early!
For information on the KU Core Research Labs, please visit the link below:
Fellowships & Traineeships
Storeroom & Shipping
Below you can find position descriptions for each of our Teaching Assistantship course assignments.
Lab TA Position Descriptions
- General Chemistry Lab TA
- Organic Chemistry Lab TA
- CHEM 401 Lab TA
- CHEM 520 and 537 Lab TA
- CHEM 636 Lab TA
Lecture TA Position Description
The Department of Chemistry provides several scholarships and awards each year at our annual Chemistry Department Awards Presentation and Honors Reception. A representative list of the various scholarships and awards can be found on our "Graduate Scholarships and Awards" page.
For a full list of graduate scholarship and award recipients, please visit our "Graduate Scholarships and Awards Recipients" page.
- The Office of Graduate Studies' Graduate Student Travel Fund
- Award up to $750, once per academic year per student
- Application period for 2023-2024 travel is August 28th, 2023 - May 1st, 2024
- You should be notified by the Office of Graduate Studies of award decision within 2 weeks
- Awarded as scholarship that posts directly to student account
- Emily V. Berger Graduate Travel Awards
- Award up to $1000, once per academic year per student
- Please apply at least one month prior to travel by sending CV, meeting details, and presentation details (orals, poster, accepted, etc.) to the Graduate Program Coordinator, Avery Meadows, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The department has other divisional awards, and PIs may provide travel support from their grants as well. If you have questions about other means for funding your travel, please talk with your PI or the Graduate Program Coordinator.
If you are experiencing any type of workplace harassment or need mental health support, please consult these campus and community resources:
- Report an Incident
- Help & Support Resources
Including survivor support, law enforcement & legal services, and other campus partners
- KU Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
- KU Ombuds Office
- KU Office of Civil Rights & Title IX