Research Safety and Ethics

A student puts out a fire during a Chemistry safety training.

Safe and responsible research

Research in a chemistry laboratory involves some amount of risk, and you are expected to conduct research in a manner that minimizes risks to yourself and others.  Researchers must also adhere to strict ethical principles so other scientists, funding agencies and the general public can have confidence in their findings.  Safety or ethical violations may lead to the suspension or termination of your research project.  The steps you need to take before commencing your research project are outlined on this page.

Online Safety Training Courses

Prior to beginning your research project, you will need to complete several online safety training courses developed by the KU Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS). 

Below is a step-by-step guide on how to access the EHS's online training. 

1. Go to the Environment, Health and Safety Online Safety Training Web page.

Scroll down to the section titled "Canvas Self-Enrollment Instructions."

Follow the prompts. Select the ID Number "EHS002" in Table 1 to complete the "ISB EHS Safety Training Course."

2. The following list of courses are required:

  • EHS Hazard Awareness
  • Walking and Working Surfaces
  • Waste Management 101
  • Lab Safety 101
  • Lab Personal Protective Equipment 101
  • Preventing Contamination
  • Safety Showers and Eyewash Stations
  • Fire Safety and Extinguishers (includes hands-on component)
  • Chemical Fume Hoods

After you have successfully completed each module you will receive a “completion certificate.”  The full set of completed certificates must be bundled into a single file, and submitted as an attachment in an email to Lindsey Roe, Chemistry Department Undergraduate Affairs Administrator at  Bundling may either be done using the “Combine Files” tool in Adobe Acrobat Pro, or by compressing the documents into a zip file.

CITI Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)

All students must complete this online tutorial prior to commencing research.  Instructions and more about this tutorial can be found at the University of Kansas Office of Research's website.

CHEM 201

All Chemistry majors are required to take CHEM 201, which is only offered in Fall semester.  It is recommended that you complete CHEM 201 prior to beginning research, or during your initial semester in the lab.  If you begin research in spring or summer semester and have not yet completed CHEM 201, you must enroll in it the next time it is available. 

Lab-specific safety training

Many research labs have specialized safety training requirements that you will need to complete either before starting your project or before taking on additional laboratory responsibilities.  Your faculty and in-lab mentors will schedule this training with you on an individual basis.