The Richard S. Givens Chair in Chemistry
Purpose: To recognize outstanding faculty contributions in research, teaching, and service.
- The Richard S. Givens Chair in Chemistry will be awarded every three years to a deserving faculty member.
- Tenured faculty at the associate or full professor levels with at least a half-time appointment in Chemistry are eligible.
- Faculty already holding a named or distinguished professorship are not eligible.
- Self-nominations or third-party nominations will be made to the Chemistry Department Awards Committee.
- The candidate will submit an abbreviated CV that details their research, teaching, and service activities for the previous three-year cycle.
- Only contributions during that three-year cycle should be included in the Award Committee’s deliberations.
- The Awards Committee will rank the applicants and submit their top three choices to the Chair of the Chemistry Department.
- The Chair will select the awardee from this list in consultation with the committee.
- A faculty member can be awarded this chair multiple times, but no awardee can hold the Chair in consecutive terms.
Award: Faculty selected for this honor will:
1. Hold the title “Richard S. Givens Chair in Chemistry” for their three-year term.
2. Receive approximately $15,000/year in research support contingent on the availability of funds.
Support: This program will be supported through the Richard S. Givens Chair in Chemistry Fund. Once the invested balance of this fund reaches a sufficient level, the Chair will be converted to a Distinguished Chair in Chemistry. A permanent holder of the Richard S. Givens Chair in Chemistry will be selected either internally or through a national search.