• Home
  • KU Chemistry UG Research Courses

KU Chemistry UG Research Courses

What do I do now that I've joined a research group?

Most KU Chemistry majors engaging in research choose to enroll in one of the courses below, but it is also possible to get paid for your efforts or simply to volunteer.  No matter which situation applies to you during a given semester, you need to make sure the Chemistry Department is aware of your status.

CHEM 498 (Undergraduate Research)

CHEM 498 is new as of Fall semester 2019, and does not satisfy any major requirements.  It is the course you should enroll in during any given semester if you want academic credit for your efforts, and do not yet meet the prerequisites for CHEM 698 or 699, or plan to satisfy KU Core Goal 6 via CHEM 636 (Instrumental Methods of Analysis Laboratory). 

CHEM 498 course description
CHEM 498 syllabus
CHEM 498 enrollment permission form





CHEM 698 (Undergraduate Capstone Research): Satisfies KU Core Goal 6

CHEM 698 is open only to students who plan to apply the credit toward their KU Core Goal 6 capstone course requirement.  Enrollment requires departmental permission and agreement of the faculty mentor.

CHEM 698 course description
CHEM 698 syllabus
Chem 698 enrollment permission form





CHEM 699 (Undergraduate Honors Research):  Satisfies KU Core Goal 6

CHEM 699 is only open to students who have been accepted into the Chemistry Department Honors Program.  For information on departmental honors click here.

CHEM 699 course description
CHEM 699 syllabus
CHEM 699 enrollment permission form






Other Situations

Researching as a volunteer (no academic credit; no pay).  This may be the best way for some students to learn whether research is right for them, without the concern that the venture could adversely affect their academic standing.   Or it may be the optimal situation for students who don’t need any more research credit hours but want to continue working on projects.  Whatever the reason, all students in this category must complete a volunteer form each semester and submit it to Betsy Carlson.

Getting paid for UG research.  Although a relatively rare situation, some students can get paid for their research efforts through a faculty research grant, or other means as the KU Emerging Scholars Program.  If you are receiving a paycheck for your research activities, be aware that you cannot receive academic credit for the same work.


Chemistry department receives more than $8.5 million in research grants annually
14 chemistry faculty members have NSF CAREER Awards
Longest-running chemistry Research Experience for Undergraduates in the nation
Connect with KU Chemistry
Facebook  Twitter  Linked In Logo  YouTube