- B.S., 2004, Nanjing University of Aero. Astro., Nanjing, P. R. China
- Ph.D., 2009, University of Maryland, College Park
- Postdoctoral Associate, 09/2009-08/2011, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Areas of Specialization
Materials Chemistry, Synthesis, Self-Assembly of Low-dimensional Nanomaterials
Welcome to the Renewable and Emerging Nanomaterials group (REN) at KU led by Shenqiang Ren. Our goal is to define the field of materials nanochemistry, the dynamic coupling between materials science and chemistry at nanoscale that controls many key chemical and physical properties of both renewable energy and multifunctional materials. Our interdisciplinary group integrates all the aspects of materials research from developing of synthetic strategies to the synthesis and testing of new broadly-defined nanomaterials. We are interested in exploring new nanomaterials and understanding their “bottom-up” assembly, which may bring breakthroughs in both fundamental nanoscience and lead to revolutionary nanotechnologies toward solar harvesting systems, information technology and biotechnology.
We are committed to realizing our vision by focusing on three main thrusts: (a) synthesis of low-dimensional nanomaterials based on the bottom-up paradigm, including quantum dots, nanoclusters, nanowires, nanotubes and thin films; (b) self-assembly of well-defined hierarchical nanoarchitectures to understand and control novel properties of self-assembled nanomaterials; (c) renewable energy related new science and functional applications, such as nanostructured solar cells, photo-electrochemical cells, thermoelectrics, plasmonics etc. The Ren group offers research opportunities for students interest in materials science, chemistry, engineering work, or a combination of these.
- M. Gong, A. Kirkeminde, Y. Xie, R. Lu, J. Liu, J. Wu, Shenqiang Ren*, "Iron Pyrite (FeS2) Broad Spectral and Magnetically Responsive Photodetectors", Advanced Optical Materials, 10.1002/adom.201200003 (2012). Featured on the cover for Advanced Optical Materials.
- J. Lohrman, Y. Liu, X. Duan, X. Zhao, M. Wuttig and S.Q. Ren*, “All Conjugated Copolymer Excitonic Multiferroics”, Adv. Mater. ASAP (2012).
- R. Lu, C. Christianson, A. Kirkeminde, S.Q. Ren, J. Wu, “Extraordinary Photocurrent Harvsting at Type-II Heterojunction Interfaces: Towards High Detectivity Carbon Nanotube Infrared Detectors”, Nano Letters, ASAP, (2012).
- B. Ruzicka, R. Wang, J. Lohrman, S. Q. Ren*, H. Zhao, “Exciton diffusion in semiconducting single-wall carbon nanotubes studied by transient absorption microscopy”, Physical Review B. (2012).
- A. Kirkeminde and S. Q. Ren*, “Thermodynamic Control of Iron Pyrite Nanocrystal Synthesis with High Photoactivity and Stability”, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, DOI: 10.1039/c2TA00498D, (2012)