LAWRENCE — The University of Kansas chapter of Mortar Board, a national honor society for college seniors, recently selected five faculty members to receive Outstanding Educator Awards. The recipients were announced at the Dec. 1 men's basketball game against Loyola University in Allen Fieldhouse.
This year's Mortar Board Outstanding Educators:
- Yu Mi Ahn, chemistry lecturer
- Ronald Borchardt, Summerfield Distinguished Professor (Emeritus) of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Michelle Heffner Hayes, professor and chair of the Department of Dance
- Stephen Ilardi, associate professor of psychology
- Sarah Kieweg, associate professor of mechanical engineering.
Mortar Board members select Outstanding Educators for their devotion to academia, teaching style, accessibility, knowledge of their subject and other special qualities unique to the educator.
Mortar Board membership is based on distinguished achievement in scholarship, leadership and service. KU’s Torch chapter became part of Mortar Board in 1924, making it one of the oldest collegiate chapters of the national honor society.